Happy Friday! I can’t tell you how happy I am that it’s Friday. This week’s Friday Five is five facts about my journey with Lupus. Here ya go:
1) My symptoms started in February 2003 at the age of 17 and I was diagnosed in June of 03. I am lucky that it only took five months to diagnose, and I think a large part of that was my mother’s diagnosis of Bechets two years earlier.
2) Even though we had the internet back then I can’t remember really doing my own research once I was diagnosed. I do remember feeling relief that “oh it’s not my fault I’ve been sick” and left it at that.
3) I started to lose kidney function in the summer of 2005. They shut down later that winter.
4) My most common symptoms: joint pain, extreme fatigue. Which are also the hardest to explain to people when you’re only 24.
5) I’ve been lucky since I got my kidneys under control. No extreme flare ups, just bumps in the road here and there. And I plan to keep it that way 🙂